When the company of Topf & Sons came under suspicion after the liberation of Buchenwald Concentration Camp, its management was quick to react. Ludwig Topf organized a meeting with the works council on April 27, 1945 for the purpose of formulating a standardized response with regard to the concentration camp business. He explained his action by noting that "it is quite possible that you will also be questioned about the matter." As a line of justification he stipulated that the business relationship with the SS had been a perfectly normal one, and that the company had merely supplied the camps with nothing but standard cremation ovens. Furthermore, they had only been obeying orders, and had even prevented worse things from happening – more specifically, they had prevented epidemics. The works council shared this viewpoint and thus saw no cause for concern.
In late November 1945, Sander's patent application for the "continuous-operation corpse incineration oven for mass use" was even mentioned in a list of patents and patent applications submitted by the company to the "Thuringian Administration Office in Erfurt" for the estimation of its assets.
In June 1945, following a brief shutdown, Topf & Sons was already permitted to resume operations with the production of facilities for the foodstuffs industry. After the Red Army arrived in the summer of 1945, field kitchens and other reparation goods were manufactured. The company was categorized as "unclaimed" and expropriated in 1947. In the 1950s, the construction of crematorium ovens was taken over by a state-owned company (Volkseigener Betrieb, or VEB) in Zwickau.
In the GDR, to the extent that any interest was expressed there in the history of Topf & Sons – now the "VEB Erfurter Mälzerei- und Speicherbau" (Erfurt Oasthouse and Granary Construction) – all blame and responsibility was laid on the former capitalist owners. Despite the GDR's professed anti-Fascist self-conception, the company's history was ignored until 1990.